The original all-inclusive Vatican City experience, featuring a climb to the top of St. Peter’s Dome for an incredible view of Rome followed by our award-winning tour of the Vatican Museums & Sistine Chapel.
- Tour the Vatican literally from top to bottom with this exclusive guided tour
- Get up close and inside Michaelangelo’s majestic dome and experience a view of Rome like no other
- Visit the “Vatacombs,” the eerie resting place of former popes beneath St. Peter’s Basilica
- Let the countless masterpieces of the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel leave you speechless
Meet your expert Vatican guide by St. Peter’s Square and leave Rome behind you as you cross into Vatican City and St. Peter’s Basilica just as it opens to the public. Once inside, get ready to take in the most spectacular views of Rome as the elevator carries you up to the terrace level of the basilica (or walk if you prefer and earn yourself a gelato later)! Suddenly the “tiny” mosaics you saw detailing the circumference of the dome from the ground level will appear massive in their golden splendor right before your eyes.
At the terrace level you can decide whether to relax and take in the view or climb the remaining 320 steps up to the summit, where the breathtaking view of Rome and beyond is simply unparalleled.
As what goes up must come down, you’ll then descend with us into the lower level of the basilica to experience the “Vatacombs,” where former popes lie in ornate caskets and effigies crafted by the most celebrated artists of the centuries. Next on this adventure will be an in-depth visit of St. Peter’s Basilica, the largest Catholic church in the world, which includes world-renowned masterpieces by Renaissance masters such as Michelangelo, Raphael, and Bernini.
Enjoy a short break and a snack before we reconvene for skip-the-line entry to the Vatican Museums, arguably the most important collection of art in the world. Your guide will accompany you through the museum to navigate its more than 1,200 galleries while emphasizing the Rooms of Raphael, the Ancient Roman and Greek pieces in the Belvedere Courtyard, and the Gallery of Maps while ensuring that you stay on track with an eye on the ultimate prize: the Sistine Chapel.
Much of this tour will be dedicated to the Chapel, from its commissioning to the finishing touches applied by none other than Michaelangelo Buonarroti, as your guide helps you to discern between myth, fact, and popular Hollywood fiction regarding this majestic work of art.
- St. Peter’s dome climb to the top of Michelangelo’s cupola
- Guided tour of St. Peter’s Basilica covering all the major works of art
- Tour of little-known papal sarcophagi beneath St. Peter’s Basilica, also known as the “Vatacombs”
- Skip-the-line access and guided tour of the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel
- Headsets to hear your tour guide clearly
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Know before you book
- Max group size 20 people
- The final ascent by foot to the dome summit requires climbing 320 somewhat steep steps in a confined area. People suffering from claustrophobia or any other health conditions that could pose a problem should strongly consider remaining at the terrace level.
- Anyone uncertain about climbing to the top may wait on the terrace level
- Due to the route covered and/or the means of transportation used, it is not possible to participate in this tour using a wheelchair, scooter, or other aid. Please contact us to inquire about customized tour options for guests with mobility challenges.
Know before you go
- Check-in on site at St. Peter’s (full details will be sent with your tour confirmation)
- Shoulders and knees must be covered for both men and women
- Wear comfortable shoes and bring a bottle of water for this tour
- All cancellations must be received in writing. Cancellations made up to 24 hours prior to the start time will be refunded in full. No refunds will be made for cancellations with less than 24 hours notice or failure to arrive at the meeting point on time (no-show).