Often called Italy’s best kept secret, Orvieto is a short day trip from Rome. Characterized by rolling hills, Medieval walls, excellent wines and top quality olive oil – Orvieto has all of the charm of Tuscany but without the massive crowds.
- Explore the magnificent hilltop city of Orvieto with a private guide
- Escape the chaos of Rome and embrace the quintessential charm of Umbria
- Enjoy guided wine and olive oil tastings at the source
Board your train in Rome, departing from Termini Station to begin your day trip to Orvieto. Enjoy the lovely scenery as you cross over from the Lazio region into the Umbrian countryside.
Upon arrival, you’ll meet your guide at the Orvieto station where you’ll get a brief introduction of the day ahead. As you head to the funicular station, which leads uphill to the cliffside Medieval walled city of Orvieto, take in the stunning countryside below, before enjoying the 2 hour visit of this fascinating city. The visit will include the Duomo, a masterpiece of the Gothic era in Umbria, as well as awe-inspiring views of the city and surrounding hills from the Moro Tower, followed by a stroll through the tiny medieval passageways, churches and 18th century Nobile palaces and workshops.
No tour to Orvieto is complete without visiting the famous well of St. Patrick, also known as “The Perfect Well.” Explore the intricate staircase leading down close to the source to take in this architectural masterpiece.
After touring the charming center of Orvieto, we’ll arrange for a transfer to one the area’s most historic family-run wineries where you’ll enjoy a tour of the grounds and 13th-century cellar still used to age wine today, followed by a little relaxation while tasting 3 of the wines produced on the grounds and a light lunch consisting of local cured meats, cheeses, crusty breads with prized local extra virgin olive oil, and other seasonal dishes such as frittata made with fresh local eggs and garden vegetables.
After lunch we’ll continue on to visit a historic olive oil mill where our hosts will walk us through the mill and explain the various techniques used for pressing olive oil over the centuries (surprise – not much has changed!) before arranging for a full tasting of several varieties of extra virgin olive oil.
After bidding a reluctant farewell to our hosts, your driver will accompany you back to the Orvieto train station for your return to Rome.
- Round trip rail tickets from Rome to Orvieto
- Private 2.5 hr tour in Orvieto
- Visit to St. Patrick’s well
- Private van and driver for touring winery and olive oil mill
- Vineyard tour, tastings of Orvieto Classico Superiore dei Neri, Ca’ Viti white, Rosso dei Neri and lunch
Know before you book
- Fully private tour
- Travel time from Rome to Orvieto is 1.5 hr
- Due to the route covered and/or the means of transportation used, it is not possible to participate in this tour using a wheelchair, scooter, or other aid. Please contact us to inquire about customized tour options for guests with mobility challenges
Know before you go
- Rail tickets will be provided 24 hours prior to departure
- Assistance is available at Termini Station
- Tour departs rain or shine
- Let us know if you have any dietary restrictions or allergies
- All cancellations must be received in writing. Cancellations made up to 48 hours prior to the start time will be refunded in full. No refunds will be made for cancellations with less than 48 hours notice or failure to arrive at the meeting point on time (no-show).